Today I interview talented singer-songwriter D’lys who escaped from the clutches of London’s Square Mile.
D’lys has opened for Leo the Lion of The Streets, wowed Kevin Spacey at The Old Vic Theatre’s Celebrity Gala, and performed live on a number of BBC radio shows, as well as on the new London Live TV channel. She unofficially released her debut album, FIND ME AN ANGEL, last year and this summer she has shows in both Europe and the USA, where she will be sharing festival bills with the likes of Joss Stone and The Jacksons.
- How D’lys nurtured and grew her talent on the side until she felt confident enough to take the plunge
- How D’lys used her job in the city to build up the funds to finance her escape
- The process of writing your own music, working with producers, selling and promoting your work
- Why it’s important to get in front of people and not just rely on social media
- Earning your stripes in the industry by finding and creating opportunities to record and perform
- The truth behind reality shows such as the X-Factor and why they’re not the ideal platform for serious musicians
- Treating yourself as a business/product and why you shouldn’t expect to make money from your music straight away
- New distribution models including streaming and subscription services such as Spotify
I love hearing your feedback and questions, so please feel free to leave a comment below or contact me here.
Music opportunities and distribution
PS. DON'T FORGET YOU CAN SHARE THIS EPISODE WITH YOUR FRIENDS!